What is the time frame for entering the awards?
Entries may be submitted any time from 12 noon Tuesday, December 6, 2016 to midnight on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 (NZDT). The system will automatically prevent entry submission after the deadline.
How do I enter the awards?
1. Go to https://canonmedia.awardsplatform.com/.
2. If you already have an Award Force account as a result of entering another Award Force award (for example Panpa), please log in. If you have forgotten your password, click on the link that reads "Have you forgotten your password?". This is on the log-in form, just above the 'Log in' button.
3. If you don’t already have an Award Force account, please register (your password must be at least 8 characters) and follow the steps to complete your profile.
4. Before you click on “Start new entry” you will need to go to your email and click on the verification link (in an email from the Newspaper Publishers’ Association). You may need to refresh the web page.
5. Once you begin the entry process you can "save + close" your entry/entries and go back to edit them later.
6. Once you submit an entry, you can go back into the system at any time to make changes – up until the entry deadline of midnight, February 15, 2017.
Do I need to enter online?
Yes, every category – including the Newspaper/Magazine/Newspaper-Inserted Magazine categories – must be entered online.
What will I need to provide as part of my entry?
Material must be supplied as follows:
- Stories should be pdf format or, if digital, a direct website link to the story
- Photos should be in jpg, jpeg, tif or tiff format
- Videos should be m4v, mp4, mpeg4 or mov format.
- Artwork/graphics should be ai or eps format
- Cartoons should be in jpg or pdf format
Maximum file size is 100MB per piece.
Please give attachments an appropriate name that depicts what the entry is about.
Entrants may provide a statement of support explaining their entry and its merits. Please refer to the entry criteria for the category you wish to enter. Entrants may upload a high-resolution head-and-shoulders photo of themselves. This may be used in the awards presentation if the entrant is a winner.
Do I need to post anything in as part of my entry?
Entrants in the Newspaper of the Year (more than 30,000 Circulation), Newspaper of the Year (up to 30,000 Circulation) and Weekly Newspaper of the Year categories must supply three hard-copy editions of each newspaper or magazine entered, as well as enter online. They must also supply three printouts of their entry pdf.
Entrants in the other Newspaper categories and the Magazine/Newspaper-Inserted Magazines/trade publications categories must supply two hard-copy editions of each newspaper or magazine entered, as well as enter online. They must also supply two printouts of their entry pdf.
Feature writers (long and short-form) must supply two photocopies or printouts of each article they submit (one for each judge to read in hard copy), as well as enter online. They must also supply two printouts of their entry pdf.
Post entries and the entry pdfs to:
Canon Media Awards
c/- News Works NZ
PO Box 2941
Alternatively, courier or hand deliver entries and the entry pdfs to:
Canon Media Awards
c/- News Works NZ
39 Market Place
Will I be able to enter the awards from a smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer?
Yes, the awards platform will run on all devices including smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktop computers. However, entrants will not be able to upload attachments using an iPhone or iPad due to Apple’s policy on attachments.
What publication dates are eligible for entry?
All entries must bear cover dates from the 2016 calendar year. For example, a magazine that appears on newsstands or reaches subscribers in late December 2016 but has a cover date of January 2017 is not eligible (it will be eligible for awards presented in 2018). The same rule applies to journalists’ work appearing in print. A publication that appeared in December 2015 but has a January 2016 cover date is eligible.
A publication with a December 2015/January 2016 cover date will be eligible, as will a publication with a December 2016/January 2017 cover date.
Does this also apply to digital entries?
Yes, except for:
- Best Blog Site
- Best News Website or App
- Website of the Year
These digital sites will be judged live during March 2017.
Must the work have been published in New Zealand?
Yes, your entry must have been published during 2016 in a recognised form of New Zealand newspaper, magazine or website. Qualifying media include:
- Daily and weekend newspapers
- Regional, community or suburban newspapers
- Magazines sold at newsstand or by subscription, or a combination of both*
- Newspaper-inserted magazines
- Specialist publications and sites (for the best trade/specialist publication and/or website category)*
- News and current affairs websites and blogs*
* Eligible magazines and blogs must appear at least four times a year and must target a mass audience. Publications comprised largely of native advertising or advertorial will not be eligible.
Eligibility for all award categories will be at the sole discretion of the NPA.
Do I have to be living in New Zealand to enter?
Not necessarily. Entrants must be either New Zealand citizens or permanent residents, aged 16 and over at the time the work was published. This includes New Zealanders working overseas.
Can I enter more than one award category?
Yes. There is no restriction on the number of award categories you may enter. However, you are not able to enter the same piece of work in multiple categories. Exceptions are the following categories where work entered into specialist categories can also be entered as part of the following portfolios:
- Best Feature Writer – Junior (long & short-form)
- Best investigation
- Best photo (junior)
- Best Reporter (Junior)
- Best (single) news story
- Business Journalist of the Year
- Community Journalist of the Year
- Feature Writer of the Year (long & short-form)
- nib Health Journalism Scholarship (junior & senior)
- Opinion Writer of the Year
- Photographer of the Year
- Regional Journalist of the Year
- Reporter of the Year
- Science & Technology Award
- Sports Journalist of the Year
- Student Journalist of the Year
- Videographer of the Year
The same story can also be submitted to both the best investigation and best (single) news story categories.
Can I enter the same category more than once?
No, only one entry per person or team, unless otherwise specified.
The exceptions are: Feature Writer – General (short-form) and Feature Writer – General (long-form). These two categories can be entered TWICE. The other exception is Editorial Executive of the Year. Publishers can nominate up the THREE executives in this category.
Editors and publishers may also enter newspaper and magazine categories multiple times if the publications are different.
I’m a new entrant to journalism. Can I enter categories other than junior awards?
The junior categories are open to individuals who have been employed in the publishing industry for two years or less at the time of publication. However, you are not restricted from entering other categories.
What is the date of the Canon Media Awards dinner and where will it be held?
Friday, May 19, 2017 at The Langham, Auckland
Is there a fee for entering the awards?
No, entry is free. The cost of running the awards programme is covered by the Newspaper Publishers’ Association, ticket sales for the awards presentation gala dinner and support from our wonderful sponsors.
Can I enter a multi-part story or feature?
Yes, but not more than two parts presented together as a single article, and cross-referenced.
If I enter Photographer of the Year will individual photos from my portfolio automatically go into their relevant specialist categories, eg news, sport, feature, general or portrait?
No, you will need to submit separate entries for the specialist categories. You may enter photos submitted to specialist categories into Photographer of the Year as well.
If I enter Best photo (junior), can I enter that photo in another specialist category?
Yes, you can enter the photo into ONE other specialist photographic category, and as part of a portfolio for Photographer of the Year.
Who selects the judges?
The Newspaper Publishers’ Association in consultation with senior publishers and editorial directors.
Are the judges paid?
No, they do the job as a contribution to journalism.
Last updated Wednesday, February 1, 2017